Monday, August 24, 2009

Do high school kids in Japan live alone as often as manga and anime make it seem like they do


Do high school kids in Japan live alone as often as manga and anime make it seem like they do?
I have noticed that a LOT of anime that have high school kids have them living alone or with an older brother or sister, even if the parents are still alive and well. This appears to be especially true if the story is set in a big city. Do lots of high school age kids in Japan go to city schools and live apart from their parents? As a correlation to that, do actual Japanese high school students eat lunch/hang out on the roof of the school building? When I was in high school a few years ago, they were really careful about never letting kids on the roof since they were worried they would fall/jump and the school would get sued... Do Japanese high schools really have wire fences on the roof so kids can go up there, or is that just in anime? If these aren't really true, as I suspect they aren't, how did they come to be such a prevalent part of anime/manga? This would appear to be a popular question- got a lot of stars at any rate. If someone who actually knows about this would share their personal experience, it would be great!
Comics & Animation - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
well... I'm not really a anime reader, but I suppose basically those stories are not realistic, probably because of writer's intention to make the scenario have 'dramatic' taste, I think. Actually, in Japan school rules seem much more strict than western. And I think in most of school the students are supposed to have lunch in their class room, and supposed to go home by specific time (determined by family rule) to have dinner with their families at home, which don't seem really romantic..., right? I myself used to be living at a dorm, though...
2 :
I'm pretty sure they don't :|
3 :
nop
4 :
Yeah, almost every school has a roof were students can hang out on, because Japan is a small country and a lot of the buildings are really tall, especially schools. Same with most other Asian countries. But the wire fences are really high, as in, taller than you. Like in tennis courts (the ones with fences). I've been to a school in China with a roof like that. :D As for the living by themselves thing, I'm not sure about this, but I think that it's uncommon but still possible to be an emancipated minor living by themselves. It's also possible for a minor to live with their older sibling if the sibling's an adult. Also if a kid's parents really don't like the kid I suppose they would rent/buy an apartment for their kid to live in. But still these sort of scenarios are still pretty rare. I get the rooftop thing because it's normal for Japan, but I guess mangakas like to write about school aged kids living by themselves because it's melodramatic or because they like to play the "everyone has a dark and tainted past" card. xD
Read more discussion :