Saturday, October 24, 2009

Is $3800 a lot to pay for a school trip to Japan


Is $3800 a lot to pay for a school trip to Japan?
So, right now I'm planning on going to Japan this July for 16 days on a school trip but I'm starting to second guess it all...mostly because of the cost. I'm going through the New Persepctives: Japan program (if any of you are familiar with that), which is basically a cultural study program. The $3800 covers: - roundtrip air transportation to and from Japan - surface travel to and from international airports and accommodations in Japan - Centrally located accommondations in Tokyo and Kyoto (plus breakfasts and dinners, but NOT lunches) - all train and bus travel expenses - all entrance fees to special attractions as per tour itinerary - orientation materials to use before departure - special presentation in Japan chosen by group - comprehensive sightseeing in Tokyo and Kyoto regions - cultural exploartion activites while in Japan which are related to selected study themes - Homestay experience with a Japanese family - Visits to a Japanese school So is that a good price for getting all of that? It doesn't include the passport fee, lunches, gifts I want to buy, gifts that I HAVE to buy for my host family, and other odds and ends. So I'm estimating roughly about $4500 total for everything I would want to/have to buy while in Japan? I know this a good opportunity, to travel to another country...but still its VERY expensive. And my sister just pointed out to me that I could buy a car with the money my parents are paying for me to go to Japan (I just got my license...) So any thoughts? I could still cancel the trip, but by now the program would charge a $100 cancelation fee, and I (well my parents) just paid $100 for my passport...I also just got a job, which pays me $8.55/hour but I'm saving up to pay for beauty school... Help please!! Is this trip worth the money? I'm just worried about that issue...but is they money worth the experience? Anyone out there who has gone on a school trip to another country want to share their experience and advice and try to convince/not convince me to go? - I live in Seattle - By the time I go (if I do) I will have learned 3 years worth of Japanese
Japan - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
That is a very reasonable price for this trip.
2 :
just go since that your parents willing to pay for you, they must have money. this is your only chance,don't let it flow away...you can pay them back later. $4500 is a lot, but i think its normal if you want to go to japan.
3 :
That sounds quite reasonable. You're leaving from the U.S., right? If so, it's a good deal. You could buy a car, but the trip to Japan would be more worthwhile. That's over two weeks in an amazing country. She's probably just jealous. You can always get a car later. Japan's not cheap. If you did those things on your own, you'd be paying more. You'd be paying $50 just to get from Narita airport to Tokyo. You'd be paying at least $10 just traveling around Tokyo in a day by public transit. It would cost you $200+ just getting between Tokyo and Kyoto. Accomodations and meals would really add up too. Plus they organize it all for you so you're not wasting time.
4 :
I agree with everyone. This sounds like a reasonable price. Transportation and accommodation fees can get pricey if you do all this on your own. And the experience you'll get from all this will be priceless.
5 :
for 16days is alot.
6 :
It's not a bad price(especially if you don't live in Los Angeles, San Fran, or Seattle). For a little bit more you could be staying there for a 3-month program though. It all really depends on what you want to do. If you want to visit Japan enjoy it and that's it, then go. If you want to go, learn the language and get more of an experience, then find a different program that allows you to stay longer. It also depends on where you live. Certain programs in school are more expensive than others. The program I was looking at was about $5,000, but didn't include all of your meals or spending money. That was for 3 months. It was an actual school and I believe you got college credit for going.
Read more discussion :