Thursday, December 16, 2010

How do I convince my mom to let me study in Japan


How do I convince my mom to let me study in Japan?
I'd really like to go to Japan next year to study for a semester, or maybe a full year. I already asked my dad and he says that he is okay with it if my mom is. He hasn't told her anything, and I don't think he took it too seriously.. I am a C student, but that's just because I wanted to.. If I want I know I can be an A student, which is what I am trying this year, so I can show them I can be responsible if I want to, and ask them about it near the end of the school year. I've already started investigateing about Japan, exchange programs, schools, etc. I commented with her that their schools have a very similar system to ours (I live in Mexico), and other random facts about Japan. How should I approach her with this? Do you think I should make a folder with all the information about it? Any ideas? Oh by the way, If I go next year, I'll be 15 so I think it's a pretty good age to travel by myself. Also I'll be with a host family.
Studying Abroad - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I THINK YOU SHOULD SIT DOWN QUIETLY AND TALK TO YOUR MOM ABOUT GOING TO JAPAN AND YOU SHOULD TELL HER THE GOOD OR BAD DIFFERENCES BETWEEN JAPAN AND WHERE YOUR CURRENTLY STUDYING.
2 :
I'm facing the same problem. This is going to be my senior year of high school and I'd like to study at the Tokyo campus of Temple University (based out of Philly). I've already been to Tokyo twice to work and now I want to go to school there but idk how my parents would take it. Just make sure you've got all the information, do your research so you'll be able to answer any question she throws at you. Good Luck!!!! ♠ ♥ ♣
3 :
Some programs might accept C students. Rotary is a great program but competitive and you have to be the top 20% in your school. That said, in a lot of countries, if your Mum/Dad is Rotarian, they usually let you go anyway. I think you have to think why you want to go to Japan, how you're going to this, why it's so important to you, what to do if something happens when you're there, how to finance it etc. List all this down for your mum and state how important this is for you. Honestly ,just do it. Get your dad to help convince her if possible. Get a place in an exchange program and once you have it, parents usually don't say no because it can be an honour;) Good luck!
4 :
Most programs require a 3.0 GPA and 16 is the minimum age. So I'd suggest you wait a year, bring your grades up, and then apply. Oh, and go for a year. Not a semester. You won't gain much fluency in a semester. Trust me. You'll be there, having a great time, just starting to get the language under your belt, and it'll be over... stay a year.
Read more discussion :